Tuna Toast = a thick slice of bread topped with tuna salad and cheese, then broiled until toasty; served at many cafés throughout Japan and a dish close to my heart.
Hi, I'm Anne, and I love all things food related- cooking, eating, trying out new restaurants, reading endless back issues of Gourmet (RIP) and looking at way more food blogs than I'd like to admit. I tell a lot of people that, being a logical-brained type, food was the thing that opened up a creative side I wasn't aware I had. So for that, food, I thank you.
I was born in Tokyo where I returned to live for seven years after college; now my musician husband and I live in Los Angeles with our cat Cory who made the trip back from Japan with me (she's a Tokyo kitty!). In typical Los Angeles fashion I work in entertainment television but often dream of a career in food and lifestyle media. I have an identical twin sister who's also (get ready for it) a food blogger, and she writes about her new life in Ireland here.
You can email me at tokyoastrogirl at gmail dot com
These are a few of my favorite things.....
- Thin, crispy-crusted margherita pizza with extra basil
- Sunchips, French onion flavored- I know they're a snackfood but they are awesome!
- Tuna Toast (of course!)
- Onions - raw, grilled, fried- I probably eat onions in some form every single day
- A well made croissant
- Semi-hard cheeses
- Al dente pasta with any sort of slow-cooked ragu or bolognese
- Ripe tomatoes with sea salt
- Wine- pinot grigio, vihno verde, Brunello di Montalcino and Nero d'Avola
- Iced and hot coffee
- Mugicha- cold, barley tea
- Cookbooks- I just can't help myself!!
- Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives- I don't eat at many diners and that's why I love to watch, ok?!
- Tokyo, Japan- my second home
- Porto, Portugal- the food, people and scenery are all equally beautiful
- Nice, France- the blue water and Old Town of Nice make it a magical place
- Mexico City- I love the hustle and bustle, the food, culture
- Vancouver, B.C.- breathtakingly gorgeous
- Venice, Italy- sitting in the piazzas eating pizza...I could get used to this!
- New Zealand
- Amalfi Coast
- I think Anthony Bourdain is a bad-ass!
- I use my MacBook, Android and Blackberry at the same time while watching TiVo- hey, it's called multitasking!
- If I wasn't a hapa I'd want to be Italian!
What are some of your favorite things? Feel free to tell me about yourself in the comments section of this page, and thanks for reading!