Monday, January 09, 2006

Cooking lighter.....

After the breads, cookies, prime ribs, lobster bisques, dips, crackers, spreads, wine and countless pieces of chocolate (and more wine) that permeate the holidays, I knew I had to commit to cooking lighter and more healthful fare to kick off the new year. Don't get me wrong- a lot of our favorite foods are naturally healthy- but after being fed by other people for a couple of weeks during Christams/New Years, I had to get back into the swing of things.

Since I don't usually get home before 6:30 PM, I stuck with simple things. I started documenting our weeknight dinners and I think we are both feeling a bit lighter and more energized. Of course a weekend dinner at a new French bistro in our neighborhood kind of sabotaged a week of the healthy dinners (the frites were absolutely PERFECT) but today is another day.
Sweet potato hash w/ egg + salad
I just boiled one cubed sweet potato and sauteed it with chopped bell peppers, onions, green onions, chopped turkey sausage and BBQ sauce (and lots of white pepper for spice). I like the "breakfast for dinner" idea sometimes. Scrambled egg and a green salad finished the meal.

Tuna patties

Tuna patties, mixed vegetables and balsamic brussel sprouts w/ pancetta.
Canned tuna mixed with chopped red bell pepper, onion, green onion, Italian parsley, good Dijon mustard, a bit of light Kewpie mayonnaise, a small amount of bread crumbs and one egg- sauteed in a hot pan coated with cooking spray. After blanching the brussel sprouts, I rendered one slice of pancetta in a pan and added the sprouts + sliced shallots. Salt, pepper and a splash of balsamic finish the dish and give it some nice carmelization.

Note: none of this is gourmet!! Just quick and easy weeknight dinners that I thought I'd share.


I did make a pear and almond tart for a friend's birthday which I also documented but did not consume. Pear Halves in White Grape Juice sold at Trader Joe's makes this tart SO easy and beautiful. You could poach your own pears, and I have for this recipe, but honestly- these are perfectly juicy and sweet and the color is just perfect.

No comments: