Monday, May 01, 2006

The Godfather, Guacamole and Margaritas


Sometimes, after a particularly draining week, I just don't feel like cooking or even going out to eat (stop the presses!). I love to just come home on Friday, slip on my sweats, pour a glass of wine and relax. I could tell that last Friday was going to be one of those nights when I was clock-watching from about 3:00 pm onward. I had a date with my sofa and didn't really feel like making dinner at all.

Just as I was about to leave work, my husband pops up on the instant messenger with "I feel like a margarita." Not such an unusual request for most of you, faithful readers, but it was for me since we drink wine about 99.9% of the time. Sure, I have some hard liquor in my pantry but it's usually reserved for cooking or baking. J then chimed in with "ooooh, guacamole sounds good too." I could do that, I thought. In fact, that sounded like the perfect end-of-the-week-stay-at-home idea. I just hoped that there were ripe avocados at the market.

On my way to the store, I phoned J's friend Kid T who is rumored to have the best margarita recipe this side of....well, just the best around, I guess. He gave me the list of ingredients and I picked everything up in one stop. Lucky me- there was a sale on avocados- $10 for 10! And there were plenty of ultra ripe ones which I quickly picked out of the pile.


I arrived home and whipped up the guacamole with the avocados, lime juice, chopped onion, chopped tomato, dried cilantro (drat! the store was out of fresh!), garlic, diced jalapeno peppers and salt/pepper. I followed Kid T's margarita recipe to a T and wow- it was simple, refreshing and packed quite the punch.


In another stroke of luck, the American Movie Classics channel was showing The Godfather and The Godfather II back to back! Although we've both seen them a dozen times, we just couldn't resist the Power of Pachino. We hunkered down with our vat of guacamole, made a toast to Fridays, and had a blast.

Dinner is served........

Who says dinner has to contain the four food groups?

Kid T's Famous Margaritas

1.5 ounces GOOD tequila (I personally love Cazadores- of course Patron Silver is great but expensive).
1 ounces Cointreau or Grand Marnier (I use Cointreau)
2.5 ounces of freshly squeezed lime juice
2 TBS simple syrup
ice

Put all ingredients in a shaker with ice, pour over ice in glasses.

Note: if it is too tart for your taste, add more simple syrup as necessary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I tell you how much I love guacamole? And I assume you skipped Godfather III? :-)

Anonymous said...

four food groups?!?!?

your margarita alone has all four!

tequila
limes
sugar
ice

oh, okay, ice doesn't count.

;)