Friday, June 09, 2006

Japan Part IV: Department store basements or "Depa-chika"



Since I went into my adoration for the Japanese department store basement floor earlier, I'll save you the commentary this time. Let me just say that there is no grocery store as beautiful, tempting and vast as a Japanese depa-chika. No American chain can rival the selection of ready-made foods that a depa-chika has to offer. If you're in the mood for something fried, baked, sautéed, raw, rolled, grilled, steamed or broiled, you'll find it all in the DEPA-CHIKA! Whether it be at Seibu, Isetan, Marui or Mitsukoshi (the Grand Dame of all department stores), the basement floor is a food lover's dream come true.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, tons of gratuitous depa-chika food photos for your viewing pleasure.

Different kinds of rice

The famous musk melon.....

...3150 yen each. That's about $32 to you and me....better be a darn good melon!

Slices of juicy pork!

Piles of French macarons......

Large steaks of fish............

Which one should I eat?

Gems of the sea

Everything tastes better rolled in panko and deep fried...

Er...I think they meant Royal Jelly but hey- Jerry works too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TAG;
Wow... Ah to be in a Japanese depato in June...ha ha.. I miss it.Now I"m really homesick. The wonderful convenience food and great taste is what I miss. Its so easy to eat in Japan..mmmmmm...

Whoosh said...

Hi!

I just discovered your lovely blog....it's heaven (and torture at the same time!)

I just adore Japanese food, and I miss my dining from when I lived in Japan. This entry especially brought back such lovely memories *drool*. I miss these basment Depa-Chika's SO MUCH!

You made my day with this entry! I look forward to your next posts!

Anonymous said...

You can't see me but I am literally green with envy. What an unbelievable experience...am enjoying your adventures!

e d b m said...

i like depa-chikas! have you heard of Famima? I like the fresh, clean feeling of the store (West Hollywood location). I just realized that I shopped at a few of those convenience stores in Japan. Over there, they're called "Family Mart"