Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Farmer's Market: Apricot Galette



This is a great time of year to hit a Farmer's Market as we creep into summer and all of the fruits of the season start showing their glorious colors. This past Sunday we decided to go to the Montrose market for the first time, and were pleasantly surprised at all of the produce and food offerings it presented. Racks of bbq rotisserie chicken sat alongside piles of bing cherries (SO SWEET!) and thick masses of kale while kids took turns taking rides on the miniature ponies.



Almost immediately, I spotted the large mound of fresh apricots on one table and started grabbing. Although I'm not nuts about eating the fruit on its own, I love making desserts with them. Apricot jam is another favorite. Anyway, since they have such a short season, I had to get some before the window closed for another year.

Sugar mixture on tart........

When I got home, I checked around and found this simple recipe which was perfect since I had a sheet of puff pastry in the freezer and bags of almonds in the pantry. I veered from the recipe slightly and used both pistachios and almonds in the sugar/nut mixture, and used regular granulated sugar instead of confectioner's since I didn't have any. I loved that the recipe made the fruit the star and didn't have a lot of filler.

Ready for the oven.......

The galette was a cinch to put together- blitz some nuts and sugar in the Cuisinart and sprinkle on the puff pastry, place sliced fruit on top of sugar mixture, brush some egg wash around the rim, sprinkle the top with additional sugar and bake. Seriously- you could use any stone fruit in this and it'd be fantastic. In fact, I have over a hundred plums on my tree that will be making an appearance in another version of this when they're ripe. I brushed the cooled tart with some melted apricot jam to give it a nice shine, and it was done. I think a scoop of some good, vanilla gelato would make it even better!



If you haven't made it out to a Farmer's Market lately, check out all of the mouth-watering choices that are available this time of year. To find a market near you, just check out this site.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a pretty tart! i'm more of a vege person than fruit, but i always love a simple fruit tart.

CM said...

this looks gorgeous! makes me want to go load up on apricots and copy you. :)

foodette said...

yum that looks so good! which farmers mkt do you go to?

Anne said...

Susan: I'm totally with you- I am much more a veg than fruit. In fact, I hardly eat fruit at all but these apricots were too nice to pass up.

Cindy: Copy away!

Foodette: I went to the Montrose one last weekend but often hit the Pasadena one in Victory Park or the South Pasadena one on Mission. Sometimes I'll also visit the Venice beach one if the weather is nice, or even the tiny Eagle Rock one on Friday evenings! Lots of choices....

Chubbypanda said...

It's probably a good thing I wasn't anywhere nearby. I would have been stealing apricots off of the tart when your back was turned. Mmmm... Fuzzy fruit...

Anonymous said...

thanks for the idea! I actually had puff pastry in the fridge and we usually just bake them and top with fresh berries and whipped cream (mixed with a little amaretto), but I made the galette this weekend with pear/peaches/cherry/apricot variations and it was easy and yummy