Monday, May 24, 2010

Quick Post: Beet Green & Carrot Top Soup



Don't worry- this soup doesn't contain one creepy, red headed comedian but instead some healthy, vibrant greens that you might otherwise toss in the garbage. I had a lot of greens left over from the tart I'd made for a vegetarian dinner party, so I figured I'd try them in a soup.

It started just like all of my other soups do: sauté diced onions, carrots and celery, then some minced garlic and thyme. Then I chopped up the beet greens and carrot tops, slightly worried that it would taste too "green" but went with it anyway. After a few minutes I added veggie stock and let the whole thing simmer for about 20 minutes before whipping out my new favorite kitchen tool- the Cuisinart hand blender- and pureed the whole thing. (By the way, I highly recommend getting this if you make pureed soups often like I do. It saves you from having to ladle hot soup into a blender, then pureeing, then putting back into the pot.)

The soup, like the tart, was savory, rich and tasty and I was amazed that beet and carrot tops could create such an amazing soup! Definitely a keeper!

It made a couple of nice lunches- one veggie- served with an avocado, arugula and hummus tartine:



And another with a turkey sandwich on quinoa bread:


Good and good for you!

2 comments:

allison said...

oh my gosh, avocado, argula & hummus sounds like exactly what I want to eat right now.

Anonymous said...

What's the exact recipe and measurement of the ingredients?