Monday, August 30, 2010

Lazy Friday Night Supper



Who says you have to cook to have a great meal at home? Sometimes you just need some really fresh produce, cheese, crackers and wine to create the perfect supper for a hot summer night...and let me tell you, last week in Los Angeles was HOT. I didn't even want to boil a pot of water, much less turn on a single appliance.

Here's what we had:

Smoked trout with dill which we purchased, plus a horseradish dressing whipped up using nonfat Greek yogurt, horseradish, a bit of light mayo, lemon zest and cracked black pepper.



Sliced baby roma tomatoes and Greek cucumbers, both from the Eagle Rock farmer's market, plus a nub of Saint-André triple cream brie, one Laughing Cow Babybel and one Laughing Cow wedge- all of which I dug out of our cheese drawer.



A basket of various crackers and bread we had left in the pantry- some La Brea Bakery multigrain, seasoned Ry-krisp and some random olive oil flatbread crackers plus a green salad with balsamic vinaigrette:



Put together, it all looked something like this on my plate:



Not bad for a dinner on the fly, and it definitely beat sweating it out in the kitchen. I guess it's one of those situation where each individual element might not look like much on its own, but together, makes a pretty great meal.



What's your favorite lazy supper?

3 comments:

allison said...

Fried eggs!

This looks delicious. I'm so amazed that a lazy meal for you consists of so many parts!

Marie said...

Sardines on crackers with mustard and pickles! That smoked trout looks delicious.

Anne said...

Allison: It really involved me opening up the package of trout, slicing a few veggies and toasting some bread:). I guess I like variety even when I'm feeling lazy!

Marie: I love sardines on crackers or toast...which reminds me, I need to stock up. I'll have to try it with mustard, sounds good.