Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Simple dinner: Soba



After what seems like weeks of non-stop eating out, I feel I need to put the brakes on restaurants for a minute (we'll see how long that lasts!) and eat from the earth. Ok, who am I kidding- I don't have a hippie bone in my body but I do know that I should probably try eating lighter in the next couple of weeks. Saturday's bout of warm weather had me freaking out about not being ready for the long summer days that are probably just around the corner. Although my arms love hiding in the warm billowy comfort of my Max Studio poncho, they know they'll have to face the world soon enough and eating six course meals isn't the best way to contribute to the cause.



Luckily for my taste buds, I keep having a strong urge to eat hot soba noodle soup. I've had it twice in the last week, and I could seriously go for some for lunch today. I'm not sure what's brought on this craving for buckwheat noodles swimming around with cabbage, green onions, bean sprouts and egg in hot bonito stock, but it probably does have something to do with all of the rich food I've been eating lately. The Japanese taste buds on my tongue have declared war on butter! Hai-ya!



In additon to being healthy and delicious, soba noodle soup comes together in about 6 minutes. I love TONS of cabbage, onions and green onions in mine but you can add whatever veggie you choose. Just heat up some tsuyu mixed with water, add your veggies in order of cooking time, toss in some soba noodles and then mix in an egg at the very end. Personally, I attack the entire bowl with a good dose of shichimi which adds a nice kick and extra flavor.



It's the best kind of "fast food" there is, and also a great way to use up any leftover veggies in your fridge.

2 comments:

Oishii Eats said...

OMG TunaToast..I'm feeling the same way. With things heating up, there's no way we can hide under all the layers. Sigh.

Chubbypanda said...

Oooh oooh! You guys know what I found the other day? Green tea somen! I made it zaru style with a dipping sauce of memmi and nuoc mam. Mmmmm... Perfect for the end of last week. What a scorcher.