Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Vacation Mode


I haven't blogged in the last few days because, although I don't leave until Friday, my brain is already in complete vacation mode. I have two more days at work before taking off to Tokyo and Osaka for 10 days, and all I can think about is about seeing my Obaachan, hanging out with friends, eating loads of great food and consuming lots of beer and sake.

Needless to say, I haven't really been cooking this week since we have to eat what we have in the refrigerator....which isn't really a lot. The other night, this was dinner:

Chinois Chicken Salad

Chinois Chicken Salad is probably one of my all-time favorite salads on the planet. I first got a taste of it at the Wolfgang Puck Express on 3rd Street Promenade when the artist management company I used to work for had an office there. I probably ate it every other day for a month before finally trying the other stuff on the menu. For "fast food," that place has truly good food- from the wood-fired pizzas to the delicate pastas and, of course, this perfect salad.

Another lets-clean-the-fridge-out meal was this:


Baguette with tuna salad and tomatoes + smoked turkey & pepper jack cheese. Sometimes I just love to eat like this, especially in warm weather.

So yes, I have been kind of lazy in the kitchen department but I'm just preparing myself for the okonomiyaki, doria, katsu donburi, sushi, tuna toast (ah yeah!), kari kari cheezu, kabocha korokke and other goodies (I know, that is A LOT of food!) that I will be consuming over the next 10 days.

I will try my best to post about my Japan eating adventures while I am there, but that probably depends on how much sake I have;). If anyone reading this lives in Tokyo or Osaka and has any "must eats" they'd like to share with me, I'd appreciate it!!

Matta ne! See you from Tokyo!

3 comments:

e d b m said...

TAG, i am still jetlagged from my trip. I had a blast in Osaka, which was probably my favorite city. I tried all of the foods you listed as well. Ramen was the best there. I'll be waiting for your food report from Japan. Have a safe and delicious excursion.

Anonymous said...

Bon voyage!!! Be safe and enjoy. I'm wishing I were on my way to Japan, too!!!! hmmmmm....

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip! I can't wait to hear about your food adventures!