Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Sweet tooth? What sweet tooth?
Caramel Apple Pie

I've mentioned several times on this blog that I have a much stronger "salt tooth" than a sweet one. I love salty crunchy things and can usually resist the never-ending flood of office snacks which are almost always chocolate-based. Why doesn't anyone ever bring tuna sandwiches to share with coworkers? Where's the baguettes with French butter? I'd be all over it if they did (this also serves as a hint to any of my coworkers who read this blog!).

As much as I love cooking savory food, I find that my pastry endeavors are almost always more visually pleasing. They taste pretty great as well, and the whole process of rolling out dough, cutting cold butter into flour, melting chocolate, cutting out shapes and decorating cakes is so relaxing. I know some pretty fantastic cooks out there who panic at the thought of baking, but to me, it brings out a creativity that is lacking in my regular cooking. Although I would desperately love to have the aesthetic brilliance (and technical cooking skills!) of Chubby Hubby or J of Kuiadore, my savory food usually has more of a rustic vibe to it.

Since I've been forgetting to take photos over the last couple of weeks, I've decided to post some "greatest hits" so to speak.

A "greatest misses" collection is always in the works and will undoubtedly be posted soon!

hazelnut orange chocolate torte


Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

...with sprinkles

Gâteau Basque

Gâteau Basque inside- pastry cream and jam

French Apricot Jam Tart

another angle









, ,

2 comments:

shaz said...

astrogirl, kudos to you! they look amazing. I for one cant bake. So i have the greatest admiration for people who can.

Joycelyn said...

hi, everything looks so utterly beautiful and delicious! it's all making me hungry for something sweet right now