Friday, March 31, 2006

BBQ'd Salmon Sandwich & Asian Slaw

Still wanting to "eat clean" this week (before the weekend debauchery that will no doubt ensue after a long working week), I made BBQ'd salmon sandwiches and Asian slaw for dinner last night.

I've had a head of cabbage and one small daikon in my refrigerator for almost a week and didn't want them to go to waste. At first I thought about making a big pot of miso soup with them but it just isn't something you'd eat a big bowl of, like chicken vegetable or something, so that idea got vetoed. On my way home from work I kept thinking of my options. "What would go well with salmon? Should I braise my cabbage? Will I be able to find the shredding device for my mandoline? Should I stop daydreaming about food and pay attention to weaving in and out of LA traffic?"


When I got home I started on the slaw. First I shredded the cabbage and cut thin juliennes of the daikon. Next I made a dressing of rice wine vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce and tossed it in with the veggies. After letting it sit for about 10 minutes, I added some green onions and chopped cilantro to finish. It looked and smelled so fresh and delicious that I couldn't wait to eat it...but I still had the main course to do.


I took the defrosted salmon (Trader Joe's has some very decent frozen fish) out of the fridge and put it into the broiler before basting it with my friend's famous BBQ sauce- the Kelso Q. He's actually ranked in California for his ribs and other smokey edibles and has a yearly BBQ where he grills up everything from whole turkeys to brisket. As a parting gift for coming and eating all of this free food (cos you know, YOU should be THANKED!), you get a bottle of the Kelso Q. Anyway, it makes anything taste better and I love the combination of buttery salmon with the sweet and spicy sauce. After toasting a couple slices of multigrain bread, I built the sandwich with the salmon, sliced onions, lettuce and a touch of Kewpie Mayo.

Here's the finished product- the flavors of the sandwich went really well with the refreshing slaw- I would definitely make this again and it's a great way to use up leftover veggies. This sandwich would be great with some added avocado and a few sprigs of cilantro as well.



Now onto the weekend! Happy Friday.


,

1 comment:

Joycelyn said...

hmm, it all looks awesome! i make a very similar slaw, but fold in a bit of japanese mayo (the qp squeezy bottle stuff with the baby doll logo)...